Monday, January 9, 2012

Anything but that...

One of the worst parts about the last eight weeks (not that I am counting) has been the disappearance of my sense of humor. The worst part is that I didn't even notice it was missing until my mother, somewhat wistfully, innocently proclaimed, "You used to have such a great sense of humor..." To which I snapped back, "I also used to not have a head injury!" I'm laughing as I type that now, because it's hilarious in its drama, but believe me, I was not laughing at the time. I did not find it funny at all, much like I don't find Two and a Half Men funny, but I digress.

Truth be told, I think I have laughed about five times this whole experience, and I was probably faking it half of the time (reference earlier paragraph). There's really not that much funny about not feeling well and not understanding how or why you feel this way and when you won't feel this way.

But I've decided if this takes my sense of humor, the injury wins, and I refuse to let that happen. So, instead of deciding to look back on this experience and laugh later, I've decided to start laughing now. So I'm going to start compiling a list of things that are usually guaranteed to make me laugh:

Stepbrothers. Man, I love that movie.
People falling. Wait, scratch that; no longer funny as I see concussions everywhere.
Having the hiccups. I always add insult to injury when cursed with a case of the hiccups by laughing on top of them. Why? Because they're ridiculous.
Eddie Murphy's Delirious. Offensive and hilarious.
Old people cursing. It just seems so wrong.

They do say laughter is the best medicine, so go on, tell me a joke; let's see what you got. I dare you.

5 comments:

  1. I recommend The Other Guys - that always makes me howl with laughter. Also, The Mighty Boosh - I can't even describe the song about eels without dissolving into hysterical laughter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AckvdGbk4w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Massimo, Galileo, and Fathead. They are always good for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been much of a maker of jokes or zingers but here's a joke from me that cracks up only me I have found:
    BIRDS OF NO FEATHER WALK TOGETHER
    Is that a "joke"? Maybe not. It's a whatchmacallit. Sadly without the chocolate and the yummy crispy rice bits. Plainly Lynn, you must recover your wonderful sense of humor! The rest of us aren't quite filling the void.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's brown and sticky? A stick.

    I agree, old people cursing never fails; one of the main reasons Betty White's SNL show is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete